Simplify your skin care ritual to 3 steps by finding out which treatments your skin actually needs. Apart from a clean diet, your skin does a lot of rebalancing and regenerating for you—so all you need to do is support that natural process. Here’s how to refine your routine:
Skin loves water, and a good hydrating toner will do wonders. While it’s sufficient to only use water to hydrate, we want to ensure we’re treating at each steps of the process. So, what’s included in the hydrate phase:
- Cleanse with water. If possible, find make that is not waterproof. This will make it easier to rinse your face without much stress to the skin.
- Tone with water. Toning the skin is simply priming the skin for your treatment products. Toning allows for active ingredients to soak into the skin and begin to work.
Next, you want to add your specific treatment—the serum that meets your skin’s needs. If you need help finding a serum, think of your concerns:
- Is my skin dry, oily or combination?
- Is my skin mature, blemish prone, dull, and/or all of the above?
Note: after you use a hydrating toner, allow the toner to set/dry and then apply your serum.
The last step is protecting your skin by adding a moisturizer. There’s many products you can use at this step being water-based or oil based products, with SPF or without SPF. If you’re using a treatment that requires SPF, find a product that can do both moisturize and protect your skin from UVA/UVB rays. Decide which type of moisturizer addresses your concerns:
- Cream based moisturizer
- Oil based moisturizer
- Gel based moisturizer
Once the serum has sufficiently soaked into the skin: hydrate again with a toner, allow to dry and then apply your moisturizer. Once the moisturizer is set, hydrate once more. Trust me!
At the end of the day, you’re hydrating after each step as it’s important to give your skin plenty of water. The steps above outline my twice daily ritual, and I’ll outline it again below so you can see what it looks like.
Jen’s 3 step routine:
- Cleanse with water, and tone with a water-based hydrating toner. Allow to dry.
- Apply a treatment serum. Allow to dry and apply toner again.
- Protect with an oil based moisturizer. Allow to dry and apply toner again.
Product I’m using: this rosewater, Biossance’s squalane serum, and Vea Spray 50 vitamin E dry oil