One way to restore your body is through a whole body detox. The great thing is you can choose a single area you’d like to focus on for the day or even week, or you can cleanse all the organs daily for a three to five days.
Whole body detox: cleansing the liver
If you were to only detox one organ in the body, it would be the liver. The liver does a few main things: the liver filters and eliminates waste, and it neutralizes and destroys toxins. One of the things that the liver requires in order to do its job properly is heat. So an easy solution for detoxing the body through the liver is by applying heat.
Ways to cleanse the liver:
- Place a hot water bottle on the body near the liver for about 15 minutes up to three times per day. It sounds simple, and that’s because it is. The liver requires heat and using a hot water bottle supports that natural process.
- Dandelion tea. Dandelion is a natural diuretic that helps with removing excessive fluid from the body, and allowing your liver to eliminate toxins.
- Any other liver cleansing tea. There are plenty on the market, and you can choose one of them. Most will contain dandelion, but be sure to look for it on the list of ingredients.
Whole body detox: cleansing the intestines
The intestines are probably the most fascinating organ in my opinion. It could be that I suffered from digestive issues most of my life or the fact that there’s 24 feet of tubes inside of me. My fascination aside, you intestines can contain a lot of stagnant fecal matter. Cleansing your intestines means getting rid of the accumulated mass.
Ways to cleanse the intestines:
- Flaxseeds. Add 1 to 2 tablespoon of flaxseeds to your meals or a glass of water to drink. Flaxseeds will gelatinize(swell) and will fill up the intestines creating bulk.
- Eat more raw and cooked vegetables. One sure way to support your intestines is by eating vegetable fiber as they are stimulating and filling.
- If you need something more potent, like a laxative, I recommend eating a handful of prunes or figs at least 1 hour before bed time.
Whole body detox: cleansing the kidneys
The kidneys require a sufficient intake of fluids in order to eliminate toxins. Your kidneys eliminate waste and filter out the fluid, which is urine. You can stimulate the kidneys in a number of ways, and here are some of the simplest.
Ways to cleanse the kidneys:
- Drink plenty of water (6-8 8oz. cups per day)
- Kidney detox tea. Like liver teas, kidney teas have diuretic properties which help you eliminate fluids.
I typically just opt for drinking more water instead of drinking another tea. It’s a simple and effective way to detox your body.
Whole body detox: cleansing the skin
The skin is your largest organ and it eliminates waste through perspiration—sweating! You can understand this mechanism better simply by the odors produced from the body. You want to break a sweat at least 3 times per week so your body can release toxins through your pores.
Ways to cleanse the skin:
- Exercises like jogging, hiking, or bike riding will do the trick. You want to ensure there is enough effort to trigger sweat.
- Sitting in a sauna if you have access.
- Taking an epsom salt bath is you have the ability to for at least 15 minutes.
Whole body detox: cleansing the lungs
The lungs serve to expel gaseous waste, but can also be an exit for other waste. That waste can include spitting or coughing up phlegm. It’s important for the lungs to experience shortness of breath and intense oxygen exchange in order to eliminate this waste.
Ways to cleanse the lungs:
- Go for a walk or jog.
- Eucalyptus or thyme are herbs that also support your respiratory tract and activate the elimination process in the lungs.
Your perfectly simple whole body 3 day detox
I recommend doing the following detox for at least 3 days, and ideally 7 days.
What you do each day for your whole body detox:
- Eat mostly greens
- Decrease meat intake
- Drink plenty of purified water (6-8 8oz. cups per day)
- Liver: use the hot water bottle method or drink dandelion tea once a day
- Intestines: flaxseeds, veggies, or prunes (choosing one or all is fine!)
- Kidneys: drink plenty of water or drink a kidney detox tea once a day
- Skin: exercise, take a bath, or sit in a sauna to break a sweat once a day
- Lungs: go for a walk or add eucalyptus and thyme to your diffuser at bed time
Cleansing the body can be simple, it just requires that we slow down and pay attention to what it needs. This whole body detox can be done any time of the year. I encourage you to do it at least 4 times a year with each coming season.